An Aston Martin is more than just a car; it’s a work of art. Each one is handcrafted with attention to detail and designed to turn heads. But an Aston Martin is more than just a pretty face. These luxury vehicles are also built for performance, with powerful engines and dynamic handling. They also come loaded with features like leather seats, premium audio systems, and advanced safety systems. Whether you’re looking for a status symbol or a sports car, an Aston Martin is sure to impress, but you need to know what you’re purchasing when it’s pre-owned.
Common Problems in Pre-Owned Aston Martins
As high-end as an Aston Martin is, every car has its weak points, and the Aston Martin is no different. Below, we’ll discuss some of the common problems that arise in Aston Martins, how to avoid them, and how to deal with them if they do occur in your vehicle.
- Engine Failure: In November 2017, Aston Martin issued a recall for 17,590 cars due to a risk of engine failure. The affected models included the Vantage, DB9, Rapide S, Vanquish, and Virage. The recall was issued after it was discovered that a faulty component in the engine could cause it to seize. As a result, the car would lose power and be unable to be restarted. Aston Martin offered to replace the faulty engine component free of charge.
- Electrical Problems: Anywhere from 2% to 4% of all cars will have some sort of electrical problem at some point during their lifetime. For owners of Aston Martins, that number may be somewhat higher. A number of different electrical problems have been reported in these luxury vehicles, ranging from malfunctioning headlights to complete system failures. In some cases, the root cause of the problem has been traced back to a faulty battery sensor. In other cases, loose wiring connections or damaged insulation have been to blame.
- Transmission Failure: Transmission failure can be caused by a number of factors, including fluid leaks, worn out gears, and electrical problems. Transmission failure often leads to expensive repairs, as well as a significant decrease in the car’s resale value. In some cases, it can even be unsafe to drive the car. As a result, it is important to be aware of the signs of transmission failure and to have the car serviced regularly by a qualified mechanic.
- Suspension Problems: Some pre-owned Aston Martin drivers have reported suspension problems with their vehicles. These problems can cause the car to bounce or jostle while driving, making it difficult to control. In some cases, the suspension may even fail completely, resulting in a dangerous situation. There are a few potential causes of these suspension problems, including worn-out shocks or airbags, damaged suspension components, or even improper tire inflation. If you’re experiencing suspension problems with your Aston Martin, it’s important to take it to a qualified mechanic as soon as possible for diagnosis and repairs.
While these are some of the most common issues faced by Aston Martin owners, they are certainly not the only ones. With proper care and maintenance, however, most of these problems can be avoided.
Aston Martin Maintenance
Any car owner knows that regular maintenance is essential to keeping your vehicle in good condition. For pre-owned Aston Martin owners, this is especially true, as you certainly want to avoid the common problems listed above. These high-performance cars require special care in order to maintain their luxury standards. Here are some tips for Aston Martin maintenance:
- change the oil every 5,000 miles or 6 months, whichever comes first
- have the brakes checked regularly and replaced as needed
- rotate the tires every 7,500 miles
- get a wheel alignment every 12,000 miles
- have the air conditioning system serviced every two years
Of course, these are only basic guidelines; your mechanic may have more specific suggestions based on your make and model and driving habits.
Trust European Service Center With Your Aston Martin Repairs
With 8 locations across Texas and Georgia, European Service Center is uniquely situated to assist a large number of Aston Martin owners with establishing a maintenance program to help prevent the problems discussed above. If you live in or around Alpharetta, Chamblee, Cumming, Norcross, Dunwoody, Buckhead, Roswell, or Atlanta, GA, call or stop by one of our convenient locations today to learn more about how we can help you maintain and repair your pre-owned Aston Martin.
* White Aston Martin image credit goes to: Roman Stasiuk.